Saturday, January 9, 2010

how i spent my saturday morning

What's more cozy than the smell of cinnamon buns baking in the oven? And what's more satisfying than the feeling that you made them yourself--and I don't mean cracking open a tube of Pillsbury and squirting on some frosting. 
This morning, I embarked on a journey full of flour, cinnamon and kneading. And the result was cinnamon buns. I haven't tried them yet, but they smell fantastic. This isn't exactly fashion-related, but whatever. I created something in my kitchen and feel the need to share it with the world.

Step one: you make dough and knead it for a little while. Some people report kneading to be a pain, but I think it can be quite relaxing.



Step two: after creating a mixture of brown and white sugar and ground cinnamon, you spread it on the flat dough, add some butter and roll the whole thing up. If you ever try this recipe, use LOTS of flour. The dough can get really sticky, which gets majorly frustrating.



Step three: After slicing the roll into individual pieces, you place them on a baking sheet and let them hang out for a little while before sticking them in the oven for about 20 minutes.



Step four: You have cinnamon rolls! Hooray!

The recipe I used came from Isa Chandra Moskowitz's Vegan Brunch cookbook. While I'm not vegan (and I admit, I used regular milk in this recipe), I am vegetarian and try to use vegan recipes when possible. Even if you aren't vegetarian, this is a really cool cookbook, so check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment