Thursday, April 9, 2009

a few words on mascara

Lately I've really been obsessing over mascara and my quest for the perfect tube of black goo to apply to my lashes. Since I can't validate spending $20+ on a beauty product, I've mostly stuck to your basic drug store brands. About a month ago, those slick-looking commercials for Maybelline's Lash Stiletto mascara piqued my interest so I purchased a tube for about $8 at Walgreen's.

Expecting long, glossy lashes reminiscent of a classy black stiletto, I was disappointed in the end result. My lashes did not take on a 'provacative' length, as the Web site promises. This mascara is no better or worse than your average brand, there's no clumping and it doesn't rub off easily. But it's nothing special, either. I even tried curling my lashes before application to see if it made any difference and, sadly, it didn't. But, hey--the tube is nice to look at! It's designed to look just like the heel of your favorite pair of pumps. After that let down, I thought I might be sticking with my current favorite: Maybelline's 'The Colossal' Volume Express (which has collagen in it and promises 9 times the volume). But curiosity got the best of me again when I spotted CoverGirl's Exact Eyelights Eye-Brightening mascara at a CVS buy one get one half off sale.































My eyes are (arguably) blue so I picked up the proper shade and gave it a try. I have to say, I wasn't expecting this mascara to do much in the way of brightening my eye color, especially since my eyes are this in-between blue and green color that doesn't have a corresponding mascara in this particular line. My prediction was mostly correct. I didn't notice too much brightening going on, but the mascara is solid. I think its strength lies in its ability to separate each lash. Some of the lengthening mascaras I've used tend to get extremely clumpy, but I didn't have that problem with this product. So, basically, if you're looking for a mascara to make your eye color pop, I wouldn't go for this product. But if you're sick of pulling mascara clumps out of your eyelashes, this is definitely the way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment